Saturday, November 2, 2013

Colada Morada



Colada Morada is only sold one week per year in Ecuador, and that week is always a good one.  For a North American, this drink has the flavor of Christmas, but in Ecuador it is made to celebrate the Day of the Deceased.

This day is celebrated by drinking this specially made drink and eating pan shaped like babies.  Why?  No one can tell me.

I can tell you though, that as I watch families gathering in San Sebastian square to drink and eat together, that it makes me happy to be a part of this special time.

It also reminds me of the Lord's supper.  A celebration of a death.  The fellowship of eating and drinking together to remember this death.

And in the end it is both a celebration and remembrance of life.  

Please continue to pray for Ecuador and for its people to know Christ.  To know how His death brings us life.

By the way, Colada Morada is delicious.  This recipe is a little different than the one we used at Sendero, but I am sure it will suffice and give you a little taste of Loja.  If you make it, be sure to let me know how it turned out.

No comments: