Dustan and I will be hiking down to the Loja Ministry Center today to help set up the Loja MK Academy for their upcoming school year which starts on Monday. It's going to be a fun year for the kids- I know because by helping with set-up I have had plenty of previews for the school year.
The younger kids (there are 4) will be taking a trek around the world, studying the Pacific Islands, Australia, Korea, China, and much more!
Marcus who will be studying an individual unit of American History will have a companion in John Michael who will be studying a couple of years ahead of Marcus.
I thought I would let you all in on a couple of prayer requests- some practical ways to pray for the MK Academy, it's students, and its teachers.
1. Pray for safety as they walk through Loja traffic, 20 minutes each way. Although Loja has implemented traffic police at many of the streets in town; the streets my kids need to cross have none.
2. Pray they learn that which will help them be better citizens of this world but most importantly of God's Kingdom.
3. Pray for health. Pray against giardia, pneumonia, H1N1, parasites, food poisoning, low blood sugars, etc.
4. Pray for attentiveness. There will be several classes going on at the same time, in the same room (imagine a one room school house). Please pray that the children will be able to focus their minds on the subject in front of them
5. Pray for the head teachers (Terry and Patty) and for the art teacher (Jenny), the Logic teacher (me), the science teacher (Sheryl), and the PE teacher (yet to be found). Please pray that someone will step forward to teach PE and that a short term missionary will get here soon to work as a teacher's aid.
6. Pray that the students will see God, will know God, and will trust him more because of their studies at the MK Academy. For many of our MKs this school provides them with spiritual guidance that they do not receive at the churches here (because of language differences or the churches who do not have children's programs)
7. Pray for friendships. MK's have a special challenge in friendships. They say goodbye as often as they say hello and because of this, friendships can suffer. Pray for them.
Thank you for your prayers for my kids, Marcus (14), Weston (11), and Esther (9) during this school year.
And we do have a special need I would like to share with you. As we were raising our support, we asked individuals to support each of our children by providing the finances to pay tuition at the Loja MK Academy and by praying for them.
One of the committed supporters has had an issue come up with his job and we need find someone who would be willing to support Marcus' education at the MK academy. We would like to find someone who will be committed to pray for him throughout our next term here in Ecuador. If you would be interested, please contact me immediately as this need is urgent!