Monday, May 28, 2012

A Day in the Life

Missionary days are often a lot like non-missionary days.  Full of meetings, hard work, and taking care of family and personal needs.

But sometimes we get to do fun things like chase the garbage man down the street, write letters to Awana kids who want to know what being a missionary is like, and helping prepare Guata, a traditional Ecuadorian meal made with intestines.

Today is one of those interesting days.  What will I be doing?

Well, I am going to start off in a normal boring manner and get all my emails written, then I am going to progress into preparing my house for someone else to live in (We leave for furlough in exactly 2 weeks), and then... (exciting stuff)

I will teach a lesson to a young Ecuadorian man getting ready to enter, as a missionary,  a closed country.  He must be proficient in English before he leaves and so, I spend several hours a week teaching him English.

At some point today I must practice my "cutting a woman in half" skills.  I found out last week that this week's Awanas (oansa) falls on the Day of the Child and we will be holding a circus.  The following conversation was overheard.
woman in charge:  Karine, you will be a juggler.
Karine:  I can't.  I don't know how to juggle.
woman in charge:  Not important.  It doesn't matter.
Karine:  But I can't juggle.
woman in charge:  Okay, well, just spin some plates on a pole then.

I was laughing my head off at Karine's predicament until the woman in charge turned to tell me that I was a magician and she would like me to cut my assistant in half.  Yeh, bet that wouldn't happen where you live.

So today, after I practice the three magic skills I found online (including cutting a woman in half) (a paper woman mind you),  we will celebrate my birthday.

Dustan and my friend Vivi have planned an evening out for myself and her husband Luis who celebrates his birthday at the same time as I do.  Conveniently for them the plan is that Luis and I will cook Dustan and Vivi a special meal.
Don't worry though, it will actually be a spectacular gift for Luis and me. Luis is quite a chef and he will be teaching me to make a fantastic Peruvian dish.  I will be sure to take pictures and write down the recipe so I can share the yumminess with all of you.

So, that's my day today.  As we have wrapped up the majority of our ministry work, our days will consist more and more of getting ready to go.  Saying goodbye, passing on ministries to others, and packing our bags.  My to-do list was far longer than the hours I have left here, so I threw it away.  My to-do list looks like this.

Revel in the joy of the work God gave me for the past 2.5 years.
Hug every person I see.
Avoid making any decisions.
Only speak of positive things.
Soak up the mountain scenes and splash in a puddle.
Drink coffee on the roof.
Pray.  Pray some more.  Grab someone to pray with me.
As the security guard I pass every day what his name is.  (I really want to know this man's name.  We have greeted each other every single day for the last year and it seems shameful that I don't know his name.  However, for some reason I am overcome with nervousness everytime I think about interrupting his work to ask him his name.

I think it's a pretty good list.

So, what is on your to-do list today?

No comments: