Who God is:

comments


I have been doing a Women's Bible Study on Monday mornings. We have been looking carefully at God's creation and this morning we are looking at God's character that He revealed to us through His creation.

Creation has long been a bit of a soap box for me. My parents and grandparents are the oddest sort of environmentalists (the best kind really). My grandfather has long had a love of trees and most of my memories of him revolve around watching him plant and tend to them. My grandmothers taught me the love of birds, and my great grandmother's garden showed me that food doesn't magically appear in a grocery store. That it grows inside dirt.

I have always been curious and non-understanding about the popular Christian view that because God gave us dominion over the earth, it was ours to use however we want. Or that because the earth belongs to God it was impossible for us to destroy.

I have long believed that the resources found in the earth are much like the ones we find in our bank account. Given to us by God to be used reasonably and to His honor.

Ecuador is a hotspot for the world's environmentalists, in fact, I have one in my Bible Study. She is fascinated by what the Bible is teaching us about the earth. Many of these views are very new to her. Frankly, no matter how many times I read the story of creation, or read the writings of David who worshiped God as The Creator, I learn new things.

Here are some highlights.

We have learned that creation was perfect. God looked at what He had made, and He said that is was VERY good. Including humans? Yep- including humans. Despising myself is a bit like despising a masterpiece. Of course creation is no longer perfect. We messed it up. Pretty badly. (which is no excuse to just continue to make a garbage disposal of ourselves or the earth.)

God created us in His image. Not to be himself- but to be a picture of himself. Because of this, there are a massive amount of clues in the Bible that show us what God meant for us to be. (A communicator, creative, full of love, Holy, immortal)

God created us fearfully and wonderfully. As people, we think a lot about ourselves. We start our day thinking about ourselves, and we end our day thinking about ourselves. However, we often forget to include in those thoughts what God thinks of us. We forget to think about the one who created us. We forget to think about how He created us and WHAT he created us to be. Do you know that God just SPOKE creation into being. "Be", he said. And then it was.

But humans were different. God put His time, His creativity, and Himself into the creation of humans. He picked up the dirt. He molded the dirt, and then His own breath gave man life. We are different than a zebra. We are more special than a Venus fly trap. When was the last time you looked in the mirror and saw a glimpse of the being that God created? Take a look. It's pretty amazing. Also, take a page from the book of Psalms and praise God for his magnificent creation.

God's creation shows us not only who we are, but far more important, it shows us who God is.
Take a fresh look at Psalm 136: Pay attention to what is revealed about God through His creation.

Psalm 136 (NIV)

1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
His love endures forever.

2 Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.

3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever.

4 to him who alone does great wonders,
His love endures forever.

5 who by his understanding made the heavens,
His love endures forever.

6 who spread out the earth upon the waters,
His love endures forever.

7 who made the great lights—
His love endures forever.

8 the sun to govern the day,
His love endures forever.

9 the moon and stars to govern the night;
His love endures forever.

10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt
His love endures forever.

11 and brought Israel out from among them
His love endures forever.

12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm;
His love endures forever.

13 to him who divided the Red Sea [a] asunder
His love endures forever.

14 and brought Israel through the midst of it,
His love endures forever.

15 but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea;
His love endures forever.

16 to him who led his people through the desert,
His love endures forever.

17 who struck down great kings,
His love endures forever.

18 and killed mighty kings—
His love endures forever.

19 Sihon king of the Amorites
His love endures forever.

20 and Og king of Bashan—
His love endures forever.

21 and gave their land as an inheritance,
His love endures forever.

22 an inheritance to his servant Israel;
His love endures forever.

23 to the One who remembered us in our low estate
His love endures forever.

24 and freed us from our enemies,
His love endures forever.

25 and who gives food to every creature.
His love endures forever.

26 Give thanks to the God of heaven.
His love endures forever.


Wow! That is awesome stuff! Beautiful!

When I look at the mountains of Ecuador, I can be reminded that God is all powerful. He, and only He has the power to speak and those massive geological landmarks we call the Andes just rose out of flat ground and thousands of years later continue to astound us and remind us of who God is.

When I look at the River Zamora, I am reminded that God's love continues forever. Just as streams continue into rivers, which join other rivers, which pool into lakes, running into other rivers, and joining the ocean. These rivers are made for our use. They provide drinking water, electricity, and wash water to the Ecuadorian people. BUT, their purpose is more than just practical. They remind us of God the creator.

When I look in the mirror, I am amazed by what I see. Just the skin on my face is a miracle. My eyelashes, my ears, the way my hair grows back when it falls out. The way my pupils dilate. AMAZING stuff! Miraculous. I am miraculous. And yet, looking deeper, I see within myself a deeper miracle.
Because I know. I know what is inside that can not be seen by a mirror. I know what I have done to the wondrous creation that God created so perfectly. I can see the bitterness, selfishness, anger, and SIN that lies within.

And then? Then I see God's faithfulness. God is faithful and just to forgive my sins. To make me new. To re-create within me what He meant to be there in the first place.

How great is our God? How powerful, lovely, and faithful is the God I serve? I only have to look out my window to see. Or look in the mirror. Or, look inside myself.

And like David, I sing His praises.


Prayer reminder: The people of Ecuador are aware of creation. They do not overlook what has been granted to them. However, what they are not aware of, is the Creator Himself. Many Ecuadorians have long looked at creation and stopped there. Creation, which should tell them of God- has blinded them. Many of them worship creation itself. Even Christians here struggle to remember that God is in control and not nature.
Will you pray for the Ecuadorian people? Pray today that the Holy Spirit will lift their blindness so that they will see GOD. Pray that Christians will be strengthened in their faith. That they will see that creation worship is idolatry and sin.
Pray that the people here will know that God created the earth, but that God is not the earth, nor can he be constrained by His own creation.

Category:

Comments (0)